Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's because, not cuz...

I know I probably sounded like a snob a few weeks ago. My son's football team was working on a slogan for t-shirts. We tossed around a few ideas before coming up with the best one. Anyway, the slogan we decided on is "Fear The YellowJackets, Cuz It's Going Down!" I obviously had a problem with that. I didn't want the word "cuz" or "itz." I wanted Fear...because it's going down.

My argument was it's grammatically correct and I don't want incorrect grammar on my t-shirt. But one of the parents said, "we live in the hood and don't use the word because. We say cuz." And "itz" just looks better. I responded with, "I live in the hood too and I say because and spell it's the right way. We went back and forth for about 10 minutes.

Needless to say, I was out-numbered. So I had to compromise. I was like, I'll give you "cuz" if you'll give me "it's." And after a few minutes, we were all in agreement. They got what they wanted and I got my apostrophe s.

It was too funny. And now I'm the official letter writer for the team. Anytime, a notice needs to be sent to the parents, they ask me. Me and my trusty grammar book.

Yes, another small victory for proper grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment